||Relationship Role Plays
Submitted by: Amy Ulen and Erik
Date: August 16, 2003
To help students to connect the scene with their own personal experience(s) or that
of people they know.
III.i.88-163, pen and paper
- Divide students into as many male/female pairs as possible.
- Have couples create a romantic relationship history between Harrison
and Olivia. Students should be as specific as possible:
- How did you meet?
- What do you like about each other?
- What is your song?
- What do you do together?
- Set the scene by telling the students that Olivia and Harrison are
two teens who have been in love for a long time. Olivia's parents are opposed to the
relationship and want her to break up with Harrison. Harrison's friends think he
should dump Olivia before he "gets hurt."
- Olivia's parents confront her about her relationship with Harrison.
- Harrison's friends confront him about Olivia.
- Harrison and Olivia try to break up with each other.
- Acting III.i.88-163
- Pairs will join to form groups of four.
- One pair will act the scene while the other pair feeds-in the lines.
- After both pairs have had an opportunity to act the scene, ask for
volunteers to share the scene with the whole class.
- Class Discussion
- Discuss the similarities and differences between the role play and
- Discuss "honesty" in this scene.
- Discuss "farewells" in this scene.
- How would Ophelia be different if she were alive today?
- Homework ~ Re-read the scene and write an entry in either Hamlet's or
Ophelia's journal about this experience.
| Lesson Plans | Articles | Resources | Links | Discussion
| Submission Form
Plays Zone | Teacher
Zone | Student Zone | Surfing with the Bard
noted, all original content ã 1994-1999 Amy Ulen. All rights reserved.